What you need to know about flying for the first time:
- Make sure you check in for your flight 24 hours prior to the boarding time. Especially if you are flying Southwest! (It is extremely crucial you check in early to ensure you reserve a specific seat.)
- Leave early. Remember there may be traffic, detours, hard to find parking spots, and long lines during security that may delay you.
- Eat a decent sized meal before you arrive at the airport.
This will leave you feeling nice and full for the duration of your flight. Nothing is worse than flying on an empty stomach. (This will also keep you from spending on the expensive airport food.) Pack a few snacks like trail mix and granola bars to munch on.
- Charge your phone and invest into a good portable charger or power bank.
- If you are taking any electronics, make sure they are fully charged and that you have your own set of headphones.
- If you are a bookworm like me, take a book to keep occupied while you wait.
- Depending on the duration of the flight and/or in case of layovers, take a travel sized pillow.
- No matter what the weather is like, take a sweater. Airports are normally very cold.
- Prepare your wallet! Keep your passport/ID, cash, debit/credit cards or checks ready and handy because you will be needing it often. This includes your boarding pass as well.
- Pack a light carry on bag. Yes, you want to have the essentials with you but you also don’t want to carry on a heavy bag bursting at the seams and tiring you before you even make it out to your destination.
- Dress comfortably! You may be moving fast, bending over, walking/running more than you thought so be prepared.
- Remember that carry-on liquids, gels, and aerosols have to be 3.4 fluid ounces or less and fit in a clear, quart-size bag.
- Take a reusable water bottle to fill. (This is probably the most important in my opinion.)
These are the tips that helped me prepare for my first flight!