This was originally a vegetable soup recipe I came by and added my own twist to help with the taste and flavor. I use shredded cooked chicken but if you do not eat chicken, this will also be a great veggie soup to make.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green, red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper or serrano pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper or to taste (add 1/2 teaspoon if you like it spicy)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth/chicken broth
- 2 15- oz cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 15- oz cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 to 4 cups of shredded chicken if you are using
- Extras for toppings like: tortilla chips, sliced avocado, cilantro, limes, sour cream, cheese, etc.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno or serrano if you are adding them. Cook until the onion is slightly golden, stirring occasionally.
Add the garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook and stir until fragrant. Add your cooked shredded chicken if you are using.
Add the broth, tomatoes, and black beans. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Season with additional salt & pepper if needed.
Serve with tortilla chips, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream, cheese, etc.
Serve and enjoy!
From my kitchen to yours,